Robotics + Art
Robotics and automatization have begun to play a larger and
larger role in the world since their invention. Even Professor Vesna, in her
lecture, notes that their increasing intelligence and sophistication has
contributed to their influence in the world referencing primitive forms of
industrialization by way of printing presses then assembly line production.
Today we see this trend of industrialization and mechanization continue with
the invention of robots that perform a wide variety of tasks from cleaning
homes, expediting production of goods, and now even driving (something I shall
expand on later). Large retailers like Walmart have even stated they will be
using robots to replace workers and lower labor costs (Humberd). Robots seem
poised to replace people in tens of millions of jobs according to research
showing how prominent this phenomenon of industrialization may continue to be.
![]() |
| Store cleaning robots replacing employees at Walmart Courtesy of: www.cbsnews.com |
In his
paper “The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction,” Walter Benjamin
condemns this very event of mechanization in the world. He claims that
technology and mechanical reproduction desecrated the authenticity and
uniqueness of artwork. His opinions were so strong that to him, even flawless
reproductions of art would lack “its presence in time and space” (Benjamin).
![]() |
| Autonomous cars being tested by Uber Courtesy of: www.time.com |
True to Benjamin’s spirit, I see this mechanization
and automatization as sacrilege, but in the context of one of my favorite
things: cars. The invention and development of autonomous cars is one of the
hottest things in the car industry today, but they would remove the entire
driving element from cars and make them something of pure utility, something
that takes you from point A to point B. To me, this would be absolute tragedy
and the destruction of my favorite form of art: automobiles. If you don’t think
cars are art please look up a Pagani Huayra, but I digress. While there are
countless problems with autonomous cars from not being nearly as intelligent as
a human, conflict of morality in situations, security, safety, and regulatory
issues, I believe that the removal of this driving experience is far more
serious (Westbrook). While I initially disagreed with Benjamin, I now see his point:
while robots, automatization, and industrialization can be helpful in certain
regards, there are some where they absolutely ruin everything.
![]() |
| The possible sad future of cars not meant for drivers at all Courtesy of: www.medium.com |
Sources:
Benjamin, Walter. “The Work
of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction.” N.p.: n.p., 1936.
Humberd, Beth. “Commentary:
Are You Prepared to Be Replaced by Robots? Some at Walmart Soon Have to Be.” CNA,
20 Apr. 2019,
www.channelnewsasia.com/news/commentary/automation-threaten-jobs-walmart-replace-workers-with-robots-11450482.
Russell, Jon. “Uber's
Self-Driving Car Unit Raises $1B from Toyota, Denso and Vision Fund Ahead of
Spin-Out.” TechCrunch, TechCrunch, 19 Apr. 2019,
techcrunch.com/2019/04/18/uber-atg-1-billion-toyota-denso-vision-fund-spin-out/.
uconlineprogram. “Robotics
Intro.” YouTube, YouTube, 26 Mar. 2012,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=51&v=dJcPtv7tnKY.
Westbrook, Justin T. “2018
Was a Hard Reality Check For Autonomous Cars.” Jalopnik, Jalopnik, 19
Dec. 2018, jalopnik.com/2018-was-a-hard-reality-check-for-autonomous-cars-1831182272.




Hi Naman. It is interesting that Walmart is going to start using robots in their stores. Japan has been using robots in stores for a long time, so it's interesting to such a large American corporation catch up to newer technology. Do you think that the U.S. will soon start using robots not just for working, but for disaster relief as well?
ReplyDeleteHey Naman, I thought your blog was a great read and I completely agree with your ideas on industrialization in regards to certain industries like the supermarket and automobile industries! It is interesting to ponder on how the progression of technology and robots will completely change the face of the work force in such industries, especially since it will lead to the replacement of many employees, which I have personally seen myself. For instance, I have witnessed many Mcdonald's restaurants utilizing the self-ordering system, which has benefits in that it expedites the process of ordering and getting your food yet rids the need of cashiers. Additionally, I have noticed that some transportation services like Lyft are beta-testing self-driving car services in which users can find a car at a certain location and simply hops in the car, plug in their desired location, and sit back while the car takes them there. I found this to be astonishing, yet a bit scary since we are not completely sure about the reliability of such systems.
ReplyDeleteHi! I really enjoyed reading your blog and found it very fascinating. I'm interested to see what the future would look like considering the route we are currently on. I know that some cars can park themselves, I feel that robots are taking over our lives and practically some of our jobs.
ReplyDelete